COVID-19 insurer & reinsurer loss reports
COVID-19 loss reports and reserves reported by insurance or reinsurance companies
This table documents publicly reported COVID-19 pandemic-related losses, IBNR reserves and estimates from insurance and reinsurance companies.
The data was originally collected by Zurich-based financial services advisory PeriStrat LLC, operated by Hans-Joachim Guenther, and has now been augmented and updated where we can by Reinsurance News.
As insurance and reinsurance companies report new totals for their estimates of actual losses caused by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, and their loss reserve setting, we will update this list and the running total.
As of June 2021, the running total is: US $37.381 billion
Read all of our reinsurance news coverage related to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic here.
|Company||COVID-19 loss & reserves estimate ($m)||Last updated DD/MM/YYYY|
|Insurance Australia Group (IAG)||884||20/11/2020|
|Zurich (P&C only)||821||12/05/2021|
|Fairfax Financial Holdings||682.6||29/04/2021|
|MS&AD (incl. MS Amlin)||605.8||20/05/2021|
|Tokio Marine (domestic & int.)||331||20/05/2021|
|Legal & General||280||10/03/2021|
|Arch Capital Group||272.6||27/04/2021|
|Talanx (excl. Hannover Re)||207.1||06/05/2021|
|W. R. Berkley||192.7||20/04/2021|
|American Financial Group||95||03/02/2021|
|Enstar (StarStone & Atrium)||81.8||07/05/2021|
|SiriusPoint (old Third Point Re)||49.5||10/05/2021|
|Sompo (domestic & int.)||36.8||20/05/2021|
|Selective Insurance Group||33.8||29/01/2021|
- Numbers might overlap as reported losses of insurers might partially be reflected as well in reinsurers’ reported losses due to reinsurance arrangements.
- Lloyd’s published in May 2020 a range with a midpoint of USD3.65b; H1 2020 net numbers include a forward-looking statement about losses of UDS780m to come; overall 40% reinsurance recovery is assumed.
- Some companies’ reported losses might overlap with Lloyd’s market number as these companies operate at Lloyd’s as well, e.g., Hiscox, Beazley, ARGO etc.
- Generali: net effect from loss provisions, net investment income drop but offset by lower general claims fq, excl. EUR 100m Extraordinary International Fund for the pandemic emergency.
- Aviva: said that 63% of Covid-19 gross loss will be recovered from reinsurers. The loss estimate to the left considers the net loss only.
- QBE: H1 2020 numbers include forward-looking statements about potential further Covid-19 losses of about USD 265m.
- Talanx numbers are net of Hannover Re’s published numbers to avoid double counting.
- Munich Re, Swiss Re, Hannover Re, SCOR, Allianz and Berkshire numbers include L&H loss estimates.
- Sompo, Tokio and MS & AD run their financial year from April 1st and number their quarters off-set by 1.