Menu

Reinsurance News

Heritage turns Q4 profit despite heavy cat losses

4th March 2021 - Author: Matt Sheehan

Super-regional property and casualty insurance holding company, Heritage Insurance Holdings, Inc., has reported net income of $2.8 million for the fourth quarter of 2020.

Heritage Insurance logoThis was despite confirming $41.5 million of catastrophe and weather losses for the quarter, which it warned of back in January.

Of the $41.5 million total, approximately $28.6 million, or 68.9%, relates to net current accident year catastrophe losses; with the remaining $12.9 million, or 31.1%, relating to net current accident year weather losses.

Heritage’s Q4 income was down 78.1% when compared with the $12.8 million it reported for the same period in 2019. But its revenue increased by 15.2% from $138.5 million to $159.5 million.

Looking at the full year period the trend was similar, with net income decreasing by 67.4% to $9.3 million and revenue increasing by 16.1% to $593.4 million.

RMS

Gross premiums written in Q4 were $282.3 million, up 19.9% year-over-year, including growth in all states and product lines. Growth was partly attributable to rate increases, particularly in Florida

For the quarter, the combined ratio deteriorated by 19.4 points to 108.7%, and for the year it worsened by 10.5 points to 107.0%.

In both cases this was due to a corresponding increase in the loss ratio, which increased by 19.4 points to 70.4% for Q4 and by 11.4 points to 68.5% for the year.

Turning to the COVID-19 pandemic, Heritage continues to see “virtually no impact to its business” and does not expect a material impact to its business going forward.

“As a residential property insurer, we view our business as relatively insulated from a short-term economic slowdown, as property owners and renters generally view our products as a necessity,” the company noted.

Heritage CEO Ernie Garateix commented on the results: “We were able to generate positive net income in the fourth quarter and full year and grow book value per share year-over-year despite experiencing unprecedented weather losses.”

“I believe our solid organic growth platform and heightened focus on underwriting profitability position us well for 2021 and beyond,” he added.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Recent Reinsurance News

Getting your daily reinsurance news from Reinsurance News is a simple way to receive only the reinsurance industry news that matters, delivered directly to your email inbox.

  • Only email is mandatory, but the more you tell us about yourself the better we can serve you in future!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

By submitting the form you are giving your consent to be emailed by us.

Read previous post:
LSM hires Marleen Lemmens as European COO

Liberty Specialty Markets (LSM), part of Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, has appointed Marleen Lemmens to the newly created role of...

Close